Well, Apple’s announcement is over. Let’s see how I did…
Well, it’s iPhone day! Lots of rumors have been flying around for months and we’ll finally find out what is the truth when Tim Cook and company show off the goods.
Here’s what I think we’ll see today.
- There will be a new device called “iPhone 5”. Wrong: it is called the iPhone 4S
- A5 dual core processor – no brainer Correct
- 8MP camera – no brainer Correct
- 1 GB RAM – highly likely They didn’t say
- Larger display (either 3.75 or 4.0 inch) but with same 960×640 resolution. The 3.5″ display on iPhone 4 looks small compared to 4.3″ and larger Android devices but they can’t bump the resolution or they will mess up existing apps.
Wrong: The 4S has the same form factor as the 4.
- Improved Voice commands, only available on iPhone 5 due to improved hardware. Look for this to be a major feature. Correct
- Different physical design than iPhone 4 with larger display. I think it would disappoint too many people if they release the a phone with the same design after 15 months.
Wrong! I guess they chose to stick with what has been successful.
- Avail in black and white. They seemed to have figured out white by now. Correct
- Avail with 16/32/64GB configurations. 64 GB is new. Correct
- Same on contract prices as earlier models ($199/$299/$399) Correct
- Dual GSM/CDMA chipset so there will be 1 SKU for all carriers and can be used as a “world phone”. Correct
- Will support HSPA+ on GSM networks. Correct
- Will not support LTE or Wimax. Correct
- AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will be supported at launch as well as smaller carriers such as US Cellular and Cincinnati Bell. Partial Sprint was mentioned but the others were not.
- No NFC. Correct
- An improved 8GB iPhone 4S will be released
Wrong. But there will be an 8GB iPhone 4 for $99 and the 8GB iPhone 3GS will be free on contract.
Same look as iPhone 4 GSM/CDMA chipset make one SKU and it is a World phone. Sold for $99 on contract on same carriers as iPhone 5. Sold for $299 with prepaid accounts.
5 and4S to be available for pre-order on 10/14 (expect the Internet to be slow that day) and for sale on 10/21.
Wrong: Happy to be wrong here as it will be available sooner! Pre-order on 10/7, available on 10/14.
- iOS 5 will be available to download on existing iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPad 2, and iPod Touch models on 10/14.
Wrong: but not by much – 10/12 is the date.
I’ll update this post after the Apple event to see how well I did.